Friday, July 3, 2009

Our Trip to the North Pole (in Colorado)

When I was growing up, we had a tradition--my grandparents took me and my brother, Jason, to the North Pole, located at the base of Pikes Peak, just west of Colorado Springs in Cascade, CO. We always called it "Santa's Summer Home", and it was a summer tradition! We'd pack up the RV and off we'd go for an over-night adventure! This year, while we're here in Colorado, my mom and dad thought it would be a fun tradition to continue with their own grandkids.

So yesterday, we all piled into the van and headed down to the Springs. After about an hour and a half in the car, we finally pulled into the parking lot--I was GIDDY with anticipation! I started to remember the smells and sounds associated with the trip--I couldn't wait for my kids to experience this unique amusement part in it's entirety! They WERE NOT disappointed! After a slow start on the sky ride, we went on the tilt-a-whirl and all sorts of stomach-dropping rides (my kids come by it honestly--Brian and I love that stuff--although it was a little harder on me in a high altitude--or at least that's what I'll blame it on, rather than age!)...


They sat with Santa and told him the things they want him to bring in 6 months ...


we rode the highest altitude ferris wheel in the world (the view from the top was breathtaking)...


we saw deer, reindeer, llamas and geese ...


the kids got their faces painted ...


we played in the arcade and ate the amusement park foods, complete with a funnel cake for dessert! What a great day, full of fun memories. Nicholas asked, when we got back to Denver, if we could go again next time we're out here--I couldn't have expected anything more from this fun day. The lightening show on the way down the mountain was just icing on the cake ... a beautiful day all around!



1 comment:

Bethany said...

This looks like so much fun! I love getting these little peeks into your lives! Hope you all have a safe trip home.