Sunday, March 21, 2010

Nicholas turns 7!!

Most parents have said it at least 100 times, and will say it at least 100 more, but, in this case it bears repeating: where has the time gone?!? It just doesn't feel like my sweet baby boy can be seven years old already. SEVEN! We sure have come a long way since that first birthday--the first birthday of our then-only child, the house packed with our friends and family ... Nicholas overwhelmed with all the gifts ... he couldn't have cared less about the cards, and the best part of opening a present was tearing the wrapping paper off!


Then there was this year. We started the day just like any other Saturday--the four of us lounging at home. We got ready, picked up Nicholas' good friend, Gavin, and headed to the bowling alley. We bowled, we played video games, and when given his choice of any place to eat for lunch, Nicholas chose Burger King (what can I say, he's his father's child!)!!!
After we took Gavin home, the four of us went back to our house and Nicholas opened all his cards (we save them for the actual birthDAY so there is more to open) and gifts. I think I literally puffed up with pride as our boy read every single word of his birthday cards on his own, needing help only occasionally with handwriting. Nicholas enjoyed opening his gifts and his excitement over every single thing was definitely not disappointing! He received money and outdoor "toys", and since it was rainy and cold out, we let him play inside for a while with his new gear.
We topped the night off with cake and ice cream, and were joined by our good friends and neighbors, the Reay's. On a side note, it has been such a blessing to have such good friends right next door--I love that they can come over so easily and celebrate life moments with us--big and small!


The day was a success from start to finish! As Nicholas lay in bed sleeping that night, it took a lot of will-power for me not to climb into bed with him and snuggle. The urge reminded me of when he was a baby and would fall asleep in my arms; too many times to count I held him for longer than necessary to get in some extra cuddle time. I guess some things don't change, like the fact that the only time this kid is still is when he's sleeping, and definitely not my love for him!! What a precious, precious gift he is to me. I pray that he'll always know what a treasure he is--to me and his dad, to all our family and most importantly to his Heavenly Father. Happy Birthday, Nicholas! I love you!

1 comment:

Baby's family said...

I agree - where does time go? He looks like he had a lot of fun! So handsome too.