Thursday, August 26, 2010

Nicholas' first baseball game!

Sunday marked Nicholas' very first baseball game; he's in the Fishers S.P.O.R.T.S. program and plays with all 1st and 2nd graders. We've tried for several years now to get Nicholas interested in team sports--he has his father's hand-eye coordination and we have always thought he would be good. BUT! Nicholas has never been very willing to play anything ... for example, a couple years ago, we saw some kids playing soccer in a local field. When he expressed an interest in what they were doing, I encouraged Nicholas by mentioning that his Uncle Jason (Nelson) has always played soccer and that I'd be happy to sign him up. He thought for a minute and then said, "No thanks. Maybe when I'm an adult I'll play!" and that was the end of the discussion!! He has completely shyed away from all team sports, until this year. With his consent, Brian and I signed him up for baseball AND basketball! The thing that appeals to us most about S.P.O.R.T.S. baseball (not sure what the acronym stands for ... my cousin Jeremy and I made one up but I'm pretty sure it was incorrect!) is that the kids practice for an hour on Sunday, and then play their game directly after that, hence the time committment is super easy! I don't think basketball will be quite the same but this will at least ease us into it.

Sunday was hot, but Nicholas had a huge posse out to cheer for him: Uncle Joe and his friend Candice, Uncle Larry and Aunt Nita (in from Seattle) and Cousin Jeremy and his woman, Katrina ... and of course, Brian, Paige and I. The game took FOREVER, but Nicholas had SUCH a good time! He played outfield and catcher, and was up to bat several times--four that I remember, but it was probably more. The coaches were very encouraging and it was apparent that the boys were all having fun. Nicholas only hit the ball one time that he was up (which is surprising because he hits the ball consistently when he and Brian play in the backyard) but when we asked him if he had fun, he answered us with a resounding, "YES!". He also informed my Uncle Larry that his favorite position is "batting" ... that's my boy!! =)



1 comment:

Barbie said...

ADORABLE. Go COLE!!! We'll come see a game--let us know when. Maybe it would spark an interest in Hallie starting T-ball.