Saturday, August 2, 2008

Nicholas' long bike ride!

I don't have any pictures to document it, but I just wanted to share that Nicholas rode his bike with me for 3.6 miles today! I was so proud of my boy--he was a real trooper! We decided to take a ride to get his housekey fixed at Ace Hardware (I had housekeys made for the kids yesterday and Nicholas' didn't work). About half way there, I realized that I had the key we needed fixed but didn't have my actual housekey! UGH! Being the master keymaker that I am, I thought maybe they could fix the problem without having the key, so Nicholas and I made the decision to keep going. Once we got there, the key guy told me that what I thought was the problem wasn't the problem (so much for my career in keymaking!) and that he'd need the original housekey to try to fix it. We turned around and headed home--no complaints from Nicholas ... or his sister, who was enjoying her ride in the carrier I was pulling behind my bike! About half way home, Nicholas started tell me that he wasn't going to be able to do this anymore ... his legs hurt ... his helmet was "killing" him ... he was hot. Normally, I'm not so much the exercise-encourager but I just slowed down and told him he could make it and to keep going. We stopped a few times for drink breaks but he made it without anymore complaints! He was excited that he had exercised and was ready to "sit down for a while" to relax. After he and Paige had their quiet time, I jokingly said that we were going to ride our bikes back to get the key fixed, thinking he'd disagree, but he was ALL over it! He said he wanted more exercise! Who is this kid? Surely not mine! :) Anyway, I'm sorry not to have any pictures of our big trip, but maybe I'll take some of them on our next bike ride so you have pictures to go along with the story. Oh, and we did get his key fixed ... he and Paige spent a good 1/2 hour locking themselves out of the house and letting themselves back in ... they're so easily amused ... on second thought, they MUST be my kids!!

No comments: