Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Mom



First thing this morning, Brian was helping unload at the church and both of my kids were still asleep (in my bed); I had just gotten out of the shower and I was standing at the kitchen window with a fresh cup of coffee. I was watching the birds at and around my feeders, and this was my thought process: "Man I love nature. I really love birds. Today is Mother's Day. My mom loves birds. I love my mom!" It went on from there as I thought about things I have learned from my mom, from my love of birds to how to be a good mom to my own children. I thought I'd list a few in honor of her today ... this list is not all-inclusive, I don't think I could ever list everything!



A few Things I Learned from my Mom:

1. Not everything orange tastes bad
2. Other's don't make you mad, you CHOOSE to be mad (I really hated that one)
3. If you play "How close can I get" to objects in the car, eventually you will hit said objects, no matter how good at the game you are!
4. Be yourself, even if others think you're goofy
5. It's OK to be goofy
6. There is nothing wrong holding hands with another adult (I think she wishes she wouldn't have taught me this one now!)
7. Jewelry is pretty
8. Spending money is fun!
9. Nothing is more important than family
10. Peach schnapps, champagne, 7up, ice and frozen peaches taste really good blended together
11. Follow Jesus and love him with all I have
12. Spend quiet time with Jesus every day
13. Birds are beautiful
14. Treat others with kindness
15. Patience is a virtue
16. Hugs are important
17. Be affectionate
18. Treat your body good
19. You're never too old to get on the floor and play with kids
20. Don't laugh at my Dad's dumb jokes because it only encourages him (I completely ignore this one, but she's tried really hard!)



There are so many more things I could say--so many of my good characteristics have come from my mom. She's been a wonderful example of a good wife, mother and friend to me. My kids ADORE their Monna and light up at the mere mention of her name (these next pictures were taken with her in mind--I'm supposed to send them to her over e-mail--which I will, but thought I would post them here, too!)
Our family is so blessed to have Cheri as a wife, mother, grandmother and friend ... I can only hope my kids look upon me with as much love and affection when they're 34 as I do my mom today. I love you, Mom! Happy Mother's Day!!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

NCThorps said...

What a sweet tribute to your mom!! It is so clear to all who know you that she did a great job! ;) I love the pics of N and P and how P is holding down her "I love you!" Too cute!!