Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Life is Precious

On Monday morning I learned that a former neighbor of ours had lost their son, Luke, to lung disease at the ripe old age of eight. EIGHT YEARS OLD. Wow. Talk about something rocking your world! Upon reading the news, I immediately "lost it" and asked the Lord to cradle Keith, Erin and their precious family in his loving arms. There hasn't been much time that I actually have to think that I haven't thought about the Butler family and how this loss must be impacting them. As those thoughts go through my mind, I can't help but be grateful for my two children and appreciate all the joy they add to my life. Losing them seems like it would be catastrophic ... it's hard to even go there in my thoughts, yet this family is currently LIVING this "catastrophe". The good news is, they are being carried through it by Jesus. This family is amazing! Luke's journey has been long, with so many ups and downs. I subscribed to Luke's CaringBridge page probably about the time he and Nicholas went to kindergarten--two years ago. Luke's mom, Erin, has always put such a positive spin on whatever they have been going through in their journey with Luke--regardless of the progress or setbacks--she has always been such an inspiration to me, and I'm sure countless others. I know she credits Christ for her ability to see the positive through it all. Erin was the one who posted that Luke had gone to be with Jesus not much over an hour after they lost him, describing how he died surrounded by his family and holding her hand. In such a time of personal sadness, she was thinking about others and making sure those of us who knew, loved and were concerned about Luke knew that he was finally free of that crappy disease. I'm sure it was a very hard post to write, but she did so with the same positive tone with which she wrote every post. I am amazed by her strength and so grateful she and her family are Christians and can look forward to being with Luke again one day in heaven!! I can't imagine going through something like this without the hope we have in Jesus Christ.

As the mother of an eight-year-old, this loss hits close to home--I think it does moreso because of our connection with them, but I also think it would even if the Butlers hadn't lived three houses down from up for eight years. Last night, Nicholas kept crying out in his sleep. Normally, I just let it go and he goes back to sleep--not a big deal. All I could think about last night was how I knew Erin would probably give anything to be able to comfort Luke one more time, and that prompted me to climb into Nick's twin bed with him and cuddle him and rub his back until he was sleeping soundly again. I haven't been very good at appreciating my kids lately; something like Luke's death really puts things into perspective and all I want to do is show them how much they mean to me--how much I love them.

Luke's calling is Friday and his funeral is Saturday. I will be taking both the kids to the calling, but not only is Saturday Paige's seventh birthday, but we've also planned to be in Michigan at the lake for the weekend, so we won't be able to attend the service. I'm so glad we'll be able to pay our respects, let the Butler's know we love them and I am hoping to have a chance to hug Erin's neck and let her know how truly sorry I am that she has to go through this. Even though her little boy is in the awesome care of Jesus and has never felt better, the hole in her heart has got to be massive.

Please pray for the Butler family: Keith and Erin, sons Samuel and Benjamin, and baby Sarah who is due to be born within weeks. As well as all the extended family who is reeling from Luke's passing, as well. Learn more about Luke and his journey at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lukebutler.

I'll leave you with something I thought was neat that someone posted in the guestbook on Luke's caringbridge site after he passed away:

"May you find peace in knowing that when he had to let go of your hand, Jesus was right there to take hold."

I just thought that said it perfectly. Thank you, Jesus.


No comments: