Tuesday, April 28, 2009

It has begun.

Tonight, while at the store, I happened to notice that Taylor Swift was on the cover of the current issue of Seventeen magazine. Paige has become a huge Taylor Swift fan, so I pointed the magazine out to her. While Brian and I were getting the groceries on the conveyer belt, Nicholas & Paige were having a pretty in-depth conversation. Next thing I know, Nicholas says, "Hey mom? Is THAT Taylor Swift?" I told him it was. He thinks for a few minutes and says, "Well, I'm going to marry her. SHE IS HOT!!!" I was stunned. I asked him what he said, he repeated it, and I said, "Did you say she's HOT?!?" He confirmed it. What's the deal with my 6-year-old calling anyone hot?
(Taylor Swift)

That's not the end of it. We got home from the grocery store and we turned on American Idol. We caught the last two acts, one of which is my favorite (pretty much), Adam Lambert. When I saw he was singing, I commented that I was glad I got to see him sing. Nicholas, giggling, said, "Why? Is he SEXY?!?" I was like, "WHERE DID YOU GET THAT WORD?!?" and he informed me that he just knows it. How? Why? I don't call people sexy ... not even to my friends, let alone to my 6-year-old.
(American Idol's Adam Lambert)

So, I blame Kindergarden. More specifically than that, I blame all the kids he hangs out with at school who have older siblings and can teach my innocent angel words like "sexy" and a new context for "hot". In the grand scheme of things I know these are minor things, but I can't help but feel it has begun. I've felt that way pretty much since the second week of school--Nicholas bringing home things he learns from his friends--naturally, I only notice the ugly. We can stop some of it--words or phrases (nothing bad, just not necessarily appropriate coming from a 6-year-old) but the attitudes and mannerisms are harder to get a handle on. I just pray when it DOES get to the big stuff, God guides Brian and I as parents and guards our sweet boy's heart!!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Probably one reason we have several years before the teen years arrive.

It's interesting how different kids in the same family end up making different choices - same parents, raised the same, etc. ALL we can depend on is bathing our children in prayer every day! And letting them see/know that we are!

Even though your story is cute and still innocent, I totally know what you mean!

Bethany said...

You had me laughing so hard I about wet myself! Yeah, when boys start thinking about girls as more than yucky...it's time to worry.

On a different note, what happened to Paige? It wasn't that long ago I was rocking her and her giant blanket at CATC. My word she looks so grown up.
Now that I know where to spy on you, I'll be back often. : )